"As early as 1818 settlers were in the vicinity of what is now Greenbrier. Mooresville was given as the name for this fast growing community. It was later changed to Greenbrier when the first post office was established on September 15, 1857. Henderson Moore was the first postmaster.
Greenbrier was incorporated as a town on April 5, 1880, with an estimated population of 300 people. Hardin Township at this time had 886 people and Cadron Township had 2,916 people.
In 1905 Greenbrier could boast of eight general stores, three grist mills, four cotton gins, a steam sawmill and a shingle mill, three churches, a six room school building, and 350 people.
There was a period of uncertainty from 1920 to 1940. Floods, droughts, and the great depression of 1930 -1935 plagued Greenbrier and the social and cultural atmosphere displayed the feelings of uncertainty and dismay. As adjustments were made to the natural physical setbacks, there emerged a conservative type of culture. Some businesses closed permanently, others changed hands several times. Only a few stayed in business the entire period from 1920 to 1940. After 1935 the New Deal ushered in activities that provided employment which gave a new spurt of life.
The next two decades saw a reprieve from the earlier stagnation and people were again motivated to make Greenbrier into a thriving village. The relocation of U.S. Highway 65 through Greenbrier in 1942 gave a real boost to the town. Following the drought of 1950, a rapid movement from cotton to dairy and livestock farming was observed. The income from the average farm tripled.
On September 9, 1949, the townspeople elected Hugh Henry as mayor; P.B. Matthews, recorder; Joe Castleberry, treasurer; and these five aldermen: Div Williams, W.A. Dillaha, Marvin Cantrell, S.C. Case and C.R. Denton. J.A. Dickens was elected marshal. Mayors since 1949 have been: Royce Williams, Howard Lawrence, Percy Matthews (acting due to the resignation of Howard Lawrence), Cecil Garrett, Eddie Garrett (no relation), and D.P. (Press) Kelso.
The population in the incorporated area in 1980 was 1,423. Today the population is 4,706.
Small businesses support the economy, contribute to individual pride, and enhance the total welfare of the community. Residential developments and businesses continue to grow in this thriving community with a hometown atmosphere.
Information courtesy of Faulkner County Historical Society